Day of Dancer Health
The Importance of Self-Care
PAIN. STRESS. INJURY. These are occupational hazards for every dancer, costing precious time and money. The best prescription? Taking charge of your health – and making physical and mental self-care a priority. That’s what the Dance Resource Center’s Day of Dancer Health is all about.
Day of Dancer Health 2021 Goes Virtual on June 5th!
4 Interactive Workshops covering:
– Mental Wellness
– Safe Practices & more!
See below for details on 2021 workshops.
What is Day of Dancer Health?
Day of Dancer Health (DDH) is a health fair customized for the unique needs of dancers. But this is not just any health fair. We created a wellness community of renowned practitioners from LA’s finest institutions to provide consultations and wellness screenings for LA dancers at a fraction of the cost.
Tell Me More
Designed for dancers of every age, background and ability, DDH empowers you to take control of your body, your mind and your career under the careful guidance of professionals and organizations that specialize in dance. Some of our esteemed partners include: Dance/USA’s Task Force on Dancer Health, Jennie Morton and Evergreen Physical Therapy
2021 DDH Workshops | June 5th, 2021 | 10am-3pm PST
Meet our Guest Speakers:
– Jennie Morton, B.S.c. (Hons) Osteopathy, M.S. Psychology
– Randé Dorn, MA, MFA, LMFT
– Annette Karim, PT, Ph.D., OCS, FAAOMPT
– Nasira Burkholder-Cooley, DrPH, RDN, BFA
10:00am-10:55am: Cardio, Balance and Other At-Home Screen Tests
- Led by Jennie Morton + Annette Karim, this workshop explores the following question: How ready are you to return to dancing as you did before? This session will teach tests to help you self-assess your physical performance and identify areas to work on as you continue to prepare for a full return to dance.
11:00am-11:55am: Caring For Your Emotional Body As A Dance Artist
- Led by Randé Dorn, this workshop asks: How do you embody your own mental health when your body is often times the vessel for someone else’s expression? Tools for self care and ideas on how to create a healthy and sustainable relationship to art making will be discussed. Please bring your questions and ideas to share.
LUNCHTIME GATHERING | 12:00-12:50 PST – Connect and Converse
Take the opportunity to get intimate with workshop leaders and (re)connect with your community! Bring your meal and thoughts to a warm and welcoming environment – snack and sip, listen and share.
1:00-1:55pm: Nourish & Flourish – Nutrition Wellness for Performing Artists
- Led by Nasira Burkholder-Cooley, this workshop focuses on well-balanced nutrition strategies during unforeseen circumstances. If the pandemic era has allowed you to fall into poor eating habits, you can learn how to transition back to more constructive and healthy behaviors.
2:00-2:55pm: Integrated Skills for Healthy Practice and Performance
- Led by Jennie Morton, this workshop explores methods to aid in the return to safe dance practices. This session will include general injury prevention strategies, tips on optimizing balance, turns, and jumps, and will demonstrate how all the psychological and nutritional information can be assimilated into your practice to ensure that you are always in peak performance.
Invest in Yourself & Reap the Rewards
- This year, in an effort to ensure equitable accessibility during a challenging time, we suggest a donation of $10 per workshop. A contribution beyond that will support another dancer’s access to an essential dance day.
- DDH participants receive the equivalent of $600-$700 in treatment from some of the finest specialists in LA
That’s what we call Priceless
DDH was very beneficial and informative because as dancers we need to learn about how to prevent injury as well as maintain the body. One of my personal highlights was the assessment test… so I can concentrate in improving my overall body, fitness and maintenance. Thank you to the DRC for thinking of the community.
A Little History
The DRC introduced Day of Dancer Health in 2015 in collaboration with Dance/USA to help address the need for quality low cost health and wellness programs for independent LA artists. The event has grown substantially over the years and has expanded to eight other cities in the U.S. This past year DDH implemented all-ability screenings to ensure equitable treatment to those with different physical abilities.
Who is Day of Dancer Health for?
DDH is open to all professional concert and commercial dancers (18+) across all disciplines and abilities – from urban athletes to ballerinas; tap dancers to contemporary artists; flamenco dancers to integrative/all-ability dancers. Adapted screenings are offered for artists of all physical abilities.
Thank you to our sponsors!
Day of Dancer Health 2021 is brought to you by:
California Arts Council
City of Los Angeles, Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA)
Los Angeles County Department of Arts & Culture
The Actors Fund