SUMMER CHAPERONES (3)
DEPARTMENT: Ballet School
POSITION: Chaperones (3) - 2017 Summer Session, July 6 - August 5, 2017
REPORTS TO: Head Chaperone
DETAILS: Chaperones receive:
1) Room and board at San Francisco State University (includes breakfast and dinner in cafeteria)
2) Compensation of $14 per hour (estimated 32-36 hours per week) and
3) Up to $500 in travel reimbursement (Note, travel is a taxable fringe benefit and will be taxed via payroll deduction.)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Have fun this summer in San Francisco as you chaperone talented ballet students training at the elite San Francisco Ballet School Summer Session. This is a temporary, full-time, non-exempt position that is responsible for supervising and assisting San Francisco Ballet School (SFBS) students at the dormitory during the summer school session, and for accompanying those students on various excursions throughout San Francisco and the Bay Area. Students are ages 15-19 and will come to SFBS from around the world to attend the advanced/pre-professional level training program this summer. This position requires living at the dormitory during the entire summer school session.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Head Chaperone, team of three other chaperones, and SFBS administrative staff to ensure the well-being of student life in the dormitory.
- Maintain discipline and see that dormitory and SFBS regulations are followed.
- Supervise and monitor students in the dormitory during day, evening, and on-call overnight shifts as scheduled by the head chaperone to ensure coverage of the dorm office.
- Set up, organize and supervise students on in-city tours/activities, i.e.: zoo, museums, shopping, etc.
- As scheduled by Head Chaperone, attend and staff Sunday excursions, i.e., amusement parks, performances, etc.
- Accompany injured or sick students to medical facilities as needed.
- Facilitate student interaction.
- Using conflict resolution and mediation skills, assist students with problems. Inform Head Chaperone of problems that may interfere with the well-being of student life in the dormitory.
- Become familiar with the SFSU campus facilities, SFB building, basic medical procedures, School administrative office, reception, School faculty and staff.
- Plan and staff end of Summer Session party.
- Promote the enjoyment of San Francisco!
- Effectively supervise students to assure their safety.
- Effectively prioritizes work to reflect the needs of the students.
- Clearly communicate (both orally and in writing) with Head Chaperone, and when necessary, SFBS administrative staff in a manner that ensures clear and mutual understanding of information.
- Demonstrate sound project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Face difficult situations with tenacity and support students and staff.
- Effectively and fairly interpret and apply policies and procedures.
- Maintain documentation, files and work papers that are readily accessible and understandable.
- Demonstrate diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- Apply creativity and innovation to work processes.
- Support and provide equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all.
Required Physical Abilities:
- Must be able to physically assist an injured student which may include lifting and/or supporting their weight (minimum weight lifting requirement: 40 lbs).
- Must be able to assist students to climb/descend stairs if normal exit routes become unavailable, such as in an emergency
The Following Experience or Education is Highly Desirable:
- Student Housing and Residence Life
- Child Development or Psychology degree
- School teaching or other work with children
- Summer camp counselor or chaperone
Completion of a Satisfactory FBI and Department of Justic Background Check will be required of all final candidates.