The Dance Resource Center presents the Lester Horton Awards, an evening devoted to celebrating Southern California’s dance community and those who keep it thriving.
In 2014, after a sabbatical, the DRC proudly shared a re-envisioning of the Lester Horton Awards!
The Horton Awards event continues to celebrate artists, dancers, and choreographers. The Awards, however, aim to recognize advocates, educators, presenters, and funders in an effort to shed light on additional key players in the LA dance scene who advance the field of dance and fuel the diversity and vibrancy of the Los Angeles arts community.
Check back here for information about the 2017 Horton Awards!
The 2016 Horton Award Recipients
Community Leader Appreciation Awardees:
- Emiko Sugiyama, educator, choreographer, producer and artistic director, J.U.i.C.E Hip Hop Dance Festival
- Ricka Glucksman-Kelsch, founder, Dance and Dialogue
- Arianne MacBean, director, choreographer, The Big Show Co.
- Elena Muslar, program assistant, Skirball Cultural Center
- Matt Wells, chief operating officer, DIAVOLO | Architecture in Motion
Artist Appreciation Awardees:
- Nzingha Camara, artist, choreographer, educator
- Heidi Duckler, choreographer, artistic director, Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre
- Rebecca Bryant, choreographer, asst. professor, Cal State Long Beach
- Lakshmi Iyengar, co-artistic director, Rangoli Company, DRC board member, manager, Worldwide Acquisitions, Universal Pictures
- Ben Johnson, performing arts director, Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs
- Jackie Lopez, founder, artistic director, Versa-Style, executive director, Flourish Foundation
- Chisa Yamaguchi, dancer, marketing director, DIAVOLO | Architecture in Motion
This program would not be possible without the support from the City of Santa Monica and the Actors Fund.