Viver Brasil Dance Company is a California nonprofit dance company located in Los Angeles, CA. Now in its nineteenth season, Viver Brasil creates bold Afro-Brazilian dance theater rooted in, and inspired by, the African heritage of Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, providing performances, residencies, cultural immersion program to Bahia, and interactive workshops that seek to engage diverse communities. Viver Brasil reflects the vitality of its global home and the artistic excellence, diversity and creative voices of its company members as choreographers and composers. The company has toured nationally and internationally and is dedicated to rigorous research and continuous lively dialogue with living Bahian masters, addressing 21st century African diasporic issues of art and humanity, race, memory and equality.
Reporting to the Board of Directors and Founding Artistic Directors – Linda Yudin and Luiz Badaró – the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the general operations, administration and fiscal management of the organization. The ED will provide leadership and oversee execution of Viver Brasil’s strategic plan in key areas: fundraising, finance and budgeting, marketing and communications, community outreach and touring.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support, develop and leverage Viver Brasil’s board of directors to meet fiscal and programmatic goals; attend board meetings and formally report to the board on a bi-monthly basis.
- Work with the board of directors to guide short- and mid-term objectives informed by Viver Brasil’s strategic plan.
- Establish and cultivate strategic relationships with key stakeholders – artists, funders, donors, presenters, audience and community members, government officials, and cultural institutions.
Fiscal and General Operations:
- Oversee organizational revenue, expenses and cash flow.
- Develop annual organizational budget with input from board Treasurer and Artistic Directors.
- Work with fiscal administrator to ensure timely and accurate bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable activities, tax preparation, and financial reporting.
- Provide general oversight and work direction for Viver Brasil staff, consultants and interns.
- Oversee daily organizational operations.
- Develop and execute development plan that includes diverse funding sources (individuals, foundations, corporations, government, and earned income) and uses (program, operating, unrestricted).
- Lead staff, Board, and consultants in fundraising activities including: Annual fund, grant-writing, special events, planned giving, and project funding.
- Establish and cultivate strong relationships with donors and donor prospects.
- Engage in donor stewardship to ensure repeat/long-term giving by individuals and corporations/foundations.
- Promote Viver Brasil’s mission, performances, and programs to various stakeholders through diverse communication channels as appropriate: web, email, venues/presenting partners, direct mail, conferences; tailor communications by audience (i.e. donors, general public, institutional partners, etc.)
- Develop marketing and public relations programs to achieve earned income goals for ticket sales, class fees, and merchandise sales, while enhancing the Viver Brasil’s visibility and reputation, including web and electronic promotion activities.
- Engage in booking activities and/or work with third-party booking agent to secure performance/tour opportunities locally, nationally and abroad.
- An energetic, positive, team player committed to the values of Viver Brasil, a passion for the work of Viver Brasil and able to successfully balance the company’s programmatic, artistic and fiscal objectives with administrative efficiency.
- Established network within the nonprofit funding community, with demonstrable success in cultivating and maintaining relationships with foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individuals.
- Accounting/budget experience.
- Experience with board recruitment and management required.
- Trilingual (English/Portuguese/Spanish) is a plus but not a requirement.
- Bachelor’s degree in dance, non-profit management, business or similar field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including initiation and follow up in all areas.
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities and deadlines with ease.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse group of stakeholders – board of directors, staff, contractors, community members and funders.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position.
Please send resumes with 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org