Position: Executive Director
Organization: CONTRA-TIEMPO Urban Latin Dance Theater
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Classification: Full-Time (or Part-Time to start off)
Job Description: The Executive Director of CONTRA-TIEMPO will work in close collaboration with and reports to the Board of Directors and its Founding Artistic Director, Ana Maria Alvarez. The ED is responsible for providing overarching strategic leadership as well as day-to day management of CONTRA-TIEMPO's 501(c)(3) operations and is responsible for ensuring the achievement of CONTRA-TIEMPO's mission and financial objectives. The ED will provide leadership in key areas including, developing new sources of revenue, strategic planning, marketing and public relations. The ED will work with the Board to formulate and implement a development and fundraising strategy that supports the existing local engagement programs with youth and community, professional touring as well as future expansion. The ED position is an exempt, professional management position; work hours are flexible depending on the needs of the job.
- A positive, driven and grounded team player who has a deep belief in and passion for the work of CONTRA-TIEMPO.
- An strong and effective collaborator able to successfully balance artistic, capital and programmatic objectives with administrative and financial practicality.
- An experienced fundraiser able to cultivate and interact with prospective donors, board members, and others whose financial or civic support is vital to the company.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) is a plus but not a requirement
Financial Management Responsibilities
- Oversee financial planning in concert with the Board Treasurer and Artistic Director
- Facilitate the creation of the annual budget for Board approval.
- Monitor budget throughout the year and facilitate regular Board review and analysis of financial information, proposing appropriate action when indicated.
- Communicate regularly with and oversee the Bookkeeper and Accountant.
- Ensure the timely billing for CONTRA-TIEMPO engagement work and presented events as well as the timely log in and payment of CONTRA-TIEMPO obligations, providing separate financial reports for each residency, partnership, performance and special event.
Organizational Management Responsibilities
- Oversee overall organizational operations and personnel issues.
- Manage all human resources issues, including but not limited to responsibilities related to workers’ compensation, liability insurance, unemployment and maintenance of employee records.
- Supervise administrative staff and provide bi-annual performance reviews of administrative staff.
- Hire and supervise administrative intern(s).
- Provide all necessary input and support to the Board and Board committees to promote their functioning as accountable, effective governing bodies.
- Foster the engagement and retention of Board members.
- Manage online filing system to insure clear record keeping.
- Oversee professional evaluators for specific programs, and make information accessible to the company, funders, donors and the Board
- Regularly attend local performances and engagement programming, to stay connected to the mission and work of CONTRA-TIEMPO
Development and Fundraising Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Board and the AD to build, maintain and oversee relationships with governmental entities, foundations, corporate sponsors, community organizations, and individual donors.
- Personally represent CONTRA-TIEMPO to current and potential funders and donors.
- Manage CONTRA-TIEMPO's annual grant strategy by monitoring time lines for submittal of grant requests and overseeing the drafting of all grants and grant reports.
- Manage "Patron Manager" program and keep clear records/data for all interactions with the public.
- Work with the Board to help produce annual fundraising Gala.
- Implement and manage yearly mailing (holiday update letter and ask).
- Monitor outcomes of the Gala and other fundraising events throughout the year and report such outcomes to the Board.
- Attend all development/fundraising events.
External Communications and Marketing Responsibilities
- Oversee all external communications (eblast, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, fliers, 4 pagers, press, media etc.)
- Implement joint marketing plans with collaborating organizations.
- Collaborate with the Board, the AD and all relevant staff and vendors to create and distribute marketing and public relations materials.
- Manage time lines for distribution of marketing and public relations materials.
- Supervise personnel dealing with marketing and public relations issues
- Collaborate with staff to continually update CONTRA-TIEMPO's website