The University of Southern California is seeking applicants for a fixed term position beginning June 5, 2017 as Communications Coordinator for the USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance. Expected end date is November 16, 2017.
Announcement: In 2012, USC received a transformational gift from philanthropist Glorya Kaufman to establish a new conservatory-style school of dance. USC Kaufman marks the first new school to open at USC in close to 40 years. In fall 2015, the school opened its doors to its first cohort of students pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts. This position’s duties include coordination of communications projects; curating content on the school’s website and social media platforms; media relations and marketing; developing print materials; and helping to manage admissions, advancement and institutional campaigns. Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer and closely working with the Vice Dean/Director, s/he will engage with all divisions of USC Kaufman, including academic programs, student life, admissions and recruitment, development, administration, and strategic partnerships. The ideal candidate has a background in marketing, media relations, journalism and project management, in addition to knowledge or experience in working with dance.
Qualifications: Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years experience in marketing, media relations, and/or journalism. Experience working in dance, the performing arts and/or within a university setting is strongly preferred. Candidates should have a basic foundation in the Adobe Creative Suite, primarily Photoshop and InDesign; email marking systems; an understanding of web-based applications like Wordpress, HTML, CSS and Hootsuite; a working knowledge of editing and publishing a variety of digital media including images and video; and familiarity with AP Style guidelines.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing or related field. Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.
Minimum Experience: 3 years. Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education. Knowledge of dance as an art form and commonly used dance terminology.
Minimum Field of Expertise: Marketing, publications, public relations, business administration, communication, advertising or related field experience. Knowledge of the principles and practices of marketing. Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
Preferred Experience: 5 years. Experience working in dance and in a university setting.
- · Work in collaboration with university-wide communications;
- · represent USC Kaufman at USC Communications meetings;
- · coordinate communications campaigns that advance the school’s strategic priorities;
- · coordinate design, production and distribution of publications and other promotional materials including ads, brochures, marketing collateral, e-newsletters, news and feature stories;
- · coordinate media relations and marketing campaigns;
- · maintain and enhance the design and content of the school’s website, and assist in the evaluation and implementation of new and emerging web technologies;
- · create and manage the school's content on its video and social media pages;
- · oversee the management of brand and all related assets;
- · respond to internal inquiries, requests and concerns relating to the school’s communications presence;
- · set priorities congruent with overall direction of school and coordinate resources and workflow while serving as a liaison with colleagues;
- · oversee student employees and vendors;
- · coordinate communications efforts with all partner entities;
- · perform other duties as assigned.
To apply: Please submit an application online at: https://usccareers.usc.edu/job/los-angeles/communications-coordinator/1209/4516868.