In 2010, WESTAF established its Emerging Leaders of Color Professional Development Program, which promotes multicultural leadership and equity in the arts by:
● Building a cohort of cultural leaders of color in the western United States who are committed to the advancement of the arts.
● Engaging diverse, early-career leaders in coursework and activities designed to strengthen competencies and prepare participants for leadership positions in the field.
● Providing opportunities for promising arts professionals to establish networks that support their careers and the cultural interests of the communities they represent and serve.
● Deepening participants’ understanding of the arts in the United States and how public support sustains the vibrancy of the sector.
WESTAF is currently seeking participants for this all-expenses-paid, 6th annual convening to be held November 13-15, 2017 in Denver, Colorado. Candidates will meet the following criteria:
● With some exceptions, are under the age of 35
● Have less that ten years of experience working in the arts
● Current resident of the 13-state WESTAF region (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawai'i, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington or Wyoming)
● Self identify as a person of color
● Is an arts administrator or a significantly arts-interested community person such as a volunteer or a public official. (This program is not designed to serve individual artists.)
● Has not had an opportunity to participate in high-quality professional development sessions
● Is an individual of significant promise
With the advice of members of WESTAF’s Multicultural Advisory Committee and program alumni, WESTAF will select 14 total participants: one participant from each state in the western region, except California, where two participants will be selected due to its large population. WESTAF covers the full cost of the program.
Applications and accompanying endorsements must be received by THURSDAY, AUGUST 31, 2017. Applicants will be notified of decision in September 2017.
For more information, contact Chrissy Deal, Program Manager for Multicultural Initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303.629.1166.
MORE INFO: https://www.westaf.org/ELC17